A car air filter cleans the air entering the engine. Signs of a dirty air filter include a misfiring engine, unusual noises, and reduced fuel economy. The combustion air filter prevents abrasive particulate matter from entering the engine’s cylinders, where it would cause mechanical wear and oil contamination. If your vehicle presents some of these symptoms it might be time to replace the air filter. Usually it is recommended to change the air filter every 10,000 miles or once a year.
- Purchase a new air filter – Air filters are very inexpensive. You can find air filters at Tampa Cadillac or any car part stores. Find out which one you need to get for your car by reading your car’s manual or by asking someone at the store that can look it up in their system.
- Pop open the hood and find the box which houses the air filter – After you’ve bought an air filter, you should get to work on installing it immediately. It isn’t hard to find the air filter box. Look for a black plastic box which is usually on the top or the side of the engine. It will have a big hose sticking out on the side.
- Remove the dirty air filter – After opening the air filter box, remove the metal clips which hold the cover down. After doing so, remove the old air filter.
- Check the filter – Do a quick visual inspection to check the condition of the air filter you are replacing. A gray air filter means that it’s time to replace it. Another sign of an old air filter is if you look inside the folds and see a lot of dirt which tells you that it isn’t letting enough clean air inside.
- Install the new air filter – Put the new filter in and make sure that it fits comfortably in the box. Finish by closing the air filter box and snapping the clips shut.
Performing regular maintenance checks will keep your vehicle in great condition and safe during your drives. At Tampa Cadillac service we can perform a multi-point inspection and give your vehicle the maintenance it requires. Our friendly, experienced & professionally trained team of expert technicians will work on your vehicle and get it in shape for the season. We are located in Tampa only minutes away from Citrus Park, Wesley Chapel and Lutz so come see us today for all your auto repair needs.